Okay, I admit it. I’m feeling a tad burned out. What with the trip for the conference, the conference itself, the prep for the conference, the hard drive failure, and the various illnesses of the past couple of weeks, I feel like I’m due for a break. But sadly, I’ve got to get cranking on the next poster for the conference in Brazil, which is now (most startlingly) less than 3 weeks away.
And not that you wanted to know this, but I am now plagued by heartburn. I had this problem when I was pregnant before, especially as I got huge. I thought things might be better this time around, but either the timing was coincidental, or the stomach bug I got pushed me out of the comfort zone, and into the fire.
Hello zantac, my old friend,
I’ve come to look to you again,
Because the acids softly creeping,
Left my stomach while I was sleeping,
And the fire that was planted in my throat
Giving the burn of reflux.
Anyhow, I owe a ThThTh list, but I’m not feeling sufficiently fired up to do a thorough job. But here are a burning bits to toast your marshmallows. (Please feel free to fuel the fire, too.)
- Phoenix, a mythical bird who burns and is reborn out of the ashes
- Quest for Fire, a 1981 movie base on a 1911 French novel. About prehistoric people. Who, um, want fire or something like that.
- Out of the the frying pan and into the fire, an idiom meaning “leave a bad situation for a worse one.”
- Firestarter. A 1984 movie starrying Drew Barrymore as a pyrokinetic kid. Based on a Stephen King novel.
- The Human Torch, a comic book character. Who gets all fiery.
- Spontaneous Human Combustion. I don’t really have anything to say here. Poof.
- Flame war or flaming: “the hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users”
- And here, how about a whole bunch of songs I like with a fiery theme.
Burning down the house, Talking Heads
Beds are Burning, Midnight Oil
Fire on Babylon, Sinead O’Connor
London’s Burning, The Clash
Light My Fire, The Doors
Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash (also Social Distortion)
Who by Fire, Leonard Cohen
Dig for Fire, Pixies
It’s a Fire, Portishead
Into the Fire, Sarah MacLachlan
Keeper of the Flame, Nina Simone