It’s a bright, beautiful sunny day here. John, Phoebe and I got to spend some time together this morning hanging out and playing with toys. This had not actually been the plan for the day.
In spite of me joking around yesterday about sleep deprivation from goofing off online, what I’ve actually been busy with is work. I have a conference next week, and there is still lots to be done. (Admittedly, I did also spend some time socializing this weekend, with live-bodied people, a rare treat that perhaps used up more time than I had.)
Yesterday, I had a very productive day while Phoebe was off at daycare. I even managed to do a bit of work after Phoebe got home, while she played, which I don’t often manage. Then once she was in bed, I settled in for a long evening of more work, with big plans of productivity for the evening. I smugly sent off a report to the professors I work with, listing my accomplishments and my goals for the night, and offering to send spreadsheets and poster drafts.
Then some time around 10:00 p.m., my hard drive failed.
- Happily, I live with an expert on disaster recovery, who knows his way around a Mac.
- Sadly, the diagnosis was the dreaded Click of Death. (I’ll let you guess the prognosis.)
- Happily, I had backed up only yesterday morning.
- Sadly, I had largely lost my whole day of work, with less than a week before we’ll need to print a poster.
- Happily, John was able to set aside his own work to try to recover and restore my data.
- Sadly, John got no sleep, after only getting 4 hours the night before.
- Happily, I did get some sleep, if fitful and haunted by dreams of lost data.
- Sadly, Phoebe had a fever when she woke up, so couldn’t go to daycare, and leading to me cancelling my meeting with my advisor.
- Happily, Phoebe seems generally okay, if a bit listless.
- Sadly, it may turn out to be a stomach bug that was going around daycare.
- Happily, John is also an expert at functioning without sleep, and could stay with Phoebe while I went out to get a new hard drive.
- Sadly, the people at Best Buy were incompetent (not to mention rude), and gave me the wrong drive when I went to pick up what we’d ordered online for in-store pick-up.
- Happily, after John made another trip, we now have the right drive, and the restore process is going on now.
- Sadly, I still have a lot of work to do once I can get back to it. I not only lost most of yesterday’s progress, but today’s work time. And what feels worse, I’ve lost my momentum.
Hopefully, in the next hour or so, I’ll have enough of the data and software at my fingertips to get back to work. And hopefully, John will be able to get some good sleep, as he’s now been up for 32 hours. And hopefully this queasiness I’m feeling is just due to stress, tiredness and pregnancy…