It’s two days after voting wrapped in the U.S. election, and the vote counting is continuing. This is a good thing, as every vote counts. The group organizing the Protect the Results event near me was meeting again this afternoon, so I headed back. But first I decided to add the Count to my sign.
With all the talk of counting, I’ve found myself getting some counting things stuck in my head. Like this song by Feist:
And this song by Throwing Muses:
I was considering doing a full-blown ThThTh list (Themed Things Thursdays, that is), given that it’s Thursday, and my mind is making a list of things on a theme. But those things take a lot more time to put together than I have available for putting them together. So instead, I’ll list a few more things on the theme of counting that came to mind:
- Counting Crows: a band
- Everything Counts: a song by Depeche Mode.
- Counting one’s blessings: an expression about taking stock of the good things one has in one’s life
- “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.” A line from a poem by Elizabeth Barret Browning. (Sonnets from the Portuguese 43.)
- Counting your chickens before they hatch: an idiom meaning to plan on events coming to pass before being sure that they’ll happen. Very unwise to count chickens based on the number of eggs you have. Especially if you bought your eggs from the grocery store.
- Counting sheep: said to help put one to sleep when one is having trouble falling asleep. (This is supposed to be counting images of sheep in your head, versus having a bunch of sheep in your bedroom. Because probably sheep in your bedroom would keep you awake. And likely would also smell.)
- I also feel compelled to mention that the Count from Sesame Street has been getting some good meme love these last couple of days.
And now I should get to bed. Because if there’s one thing I can count on, it’s that morning will come, and I’ll need to get moving again.
Counting sheep: Said to help you fall asleep. Probably an occupational hazard for shepherds.
Having any counting things to add? Feel free to list them in the comments. :)