Welcome to the latest edition of the Just Posts, featuring posts from the month of August on topics of social justice. Holly (of Cold Spaghetti) and I are pleased to share with you this phenomenal gathering of bloggers who are speaking out about causes that are important to them.
I’d also direct your attention to the blog Violence Unsilenced, a site “shedding light on the epidemic of domestic violence and sexual assault.” The inaugural post of the blog was included in our February Just Post round-up, but the site is still going strong. The site gives a space for individuals to share their own personal stories, and readers are encouraged to leave comments to show their support. Telling personal stories of this sort is extremely courageous, and each of these women (and occasionally men, too), deserve recognition and encouragement. The site provides an important outlet that is not only cathartic for those who share their stories, but can help those who are still grappling with, or (worse yet) living with, their own ordeals.
I confess that only visit the site periodically, but I do make efforts to return and to leave comments. I entreat you to do the same if you have it in you to do so.
Each month for the Just Posts, I have been highlighting a song that speaks to (or perhaps sings to) some of the issues that the roundtable highlights. My selection for this month is Tracy Chapman’s “Behind the Wall,” a chilling yet beautiful a cappella song that tells a story of domestic violence.
And without further ado, here is this month’s roundtable.
The August 2009 Just Posts:
- Girl Griot at If You Want Kin… with: Choking on a Wishbone; Oh I See, Profiling is Colorblind; and What’s Good for the Goose
- Kitty at The Show Must Go On with: Fallen into a hospital and can’t get out
- Barbara at An American in Lima with: Government extends State of Emergency; more children to die
- Holly at Cold Spaghetti with: Superheros; Thoughts on Rising Tide 4; and Why does New Orleans have different moral rules of conduct?
- Painted Maypole at The Painted Maypole with: What Jesus would do and 4-years ago today Katrina made landfall
- Laura at Our Feet are the Same with: B is for Backpack
- Julie at Using my Words with: Why Playing the Whore Card in reference to Mommybloggers is not so cool
- Catherine at Their Bad Mother with: Baby Got Boob
- Margaret at Mostly in the Afternoon with: Youth in Asia
- Elizabeth at A Moon, as if it had been worn by a shell with: Thursday Rant
- Ilina at Dirt and Noise with: Marriott is a Disgrace
- Angela at The Many Hats with: How dare you take your vagina out in public!
- Jen at One Plus Two with: Culture Clash
- Magpie at Magpie Musings with: You want to know how much a colonoscopy costs?
- Chani with Finding my way back home with: War on Women
- Fireweaver at Laboratory Tested with: Foolishness is Free
This month’s posts were nominated by:
Thanks so much for reading! We really appreciate your support. And not just appreciate it. We need your support to keep the Just Posts going.
Please drop by Holly’s to see what she has to say this month.
If you have a post in the list above, or would just like to support the Just Posts, we invite you to display a button on your blog with a link back here, or to the Just Posts at Cold Spaghetti. If you are unfamiliar with the Just Posts, please visit the information page.
5 thoughts on “The August Just Posts”
Thanks so much for listing my blog again. I am honored. What a great list of posts this month. Bloggers are really kicking it!
I often read VU but I can rarely comment. The thoughts swirl around my head but the words can’t come out. Each time I read it though I am laid flat by the courage of those who write there.
Great list of posts again, Alejna and Holly.
Thank you so much for featuring VU! And I know those stories are hard to read, I know. If it helps, sometimes just saying “Thank you” is all they need to hear.
Thanks for continuing this good work!
As ever, thank you for doing this round-up.
I always love reading these; thanks for doing this.