Welcome to the December 2009 edition of the Just Posts. Holly (of Cold Spaghetti) and I are pleased to be hosting our 12 roundtable.
It’s hard to know what to say in response to some world events. The world is reeling from news of the devastating earthquake in Haiti yesterday. Living far away as we are, it is hard to know how to help.
Many organizations around the world are gearing up to join relief efforts, and many people are ready and willing to go to Haiti. (I was very moved reading the comments on this post from Mercy Corps, as dozens of people offered up their qualifications to serve as relief workers in Haiti, and offered to fly there immediately to help.)
For most of us, though, the best way to help is to donate to organizations that are active in relief efforts.
I made a donation this morning to UNICEF, and will probably make one to IRC as well. Both are international relief organizations of which I am a regular supporter, and both are actively sending relief to Haiti.
Holly has suggested donations to Hôpital Albert Schweitzer as a smaller, Haiti-based organization where funds will have more of an immediate impact.
You can also find a fairly extensive list assembled on the NPR blog of ways to help.
And now, for this month’s list. As ever, I am inspired and heartened by the range of voices speaking out on topics of social justice.
The December 2009 Just Posts:
- Claudia at The Bottom of Heaven with:Some Thoughts on the Princess and the Frog
- Country Girl of Country Girl/City Girl with Can we talk?
- Emily of Wheels on the Bus with A letter to the peeps in Copenhagen
- Erika of Be gay about it. with Everybody hurts., Merry Christmas to all. and Shine your light, share your story …AND WIN A CONTEST!!
- Ginny at Praying to Darwin with: A Tree Grows in the Psych Ward
- girlgriot at If you want kin… with: I’m asking again: How long? and Safety and Self Worth: $175
- h.e.g. of Faith and Aids with Speaking out against Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Bill 2009
- Kitty at The Show Must Go On with: See Ya in Your Nightmares
- Magpie of Magpie Musing with Charity vs. Democracy
- Meloukhia at This Ain’t Livin’ with: Glee: Sectionals and Antifeminist Spam
- submom of The Absence of Alternatives with” All things on cable TV considered, I wish my hotel had porn…
- Thailand Chani of Finding My Way Home with Sacred Life Sunday: No Slime Zone!
- wrekehavoc with world aids day 2009
Thank you for your support in our efforts this past year. Your comments and contributions are what keep us going!
7 thoughts on “The December Just Posts”
I’m totally and completely honored to be included in such company here. Thank you!! (And thank you for the suggestions on how to help in Haiti.)
I have no idea how I got here (which is funny, because that’s kind of h0w I run my life, too), but like Erika, I am completely honored to be a part of this. Thanks so much.
What has happened in Haiti is tragic and I just hope that they find as much survivors as possible before its too late.
Thanks so much for including me on this list, it’s such an honor.
On behalf of CountryGirl, thank you for the just post mention. :o)
I am honored to be included. And I apologize for being irreverent and for the curse words.
Once again, you are golden. I love you two for doing this.