It’s happy music fun time!¹ While most of my favorite music tends to run to the angsty, I do enjoy me a catchy beat and a perky melody now and then. Inspired by Mary Lynn‘s list of songs that make her happy, I’ve put together a happy list of my own. Here are some songs that make make me sing along, tap along, or just plain dance around like an idiot.
- Safety Dance, Men Without Hats [YouTube]
We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind.
- Multi-Family Garage Sale [Bargain Bin Mix], Land of the Loops [YouTube]
I do so hope no one ever gets video footage of me dancing around the house to this song.
- And She Was, The Talking Heads [YouTube]
The world was moving, she was floatin’ above it
- Goody Two Shoes, Adam Ant [YouTube]
Don’t drink, don’t smoke. What do you do?
- Lust for Life, Iggy Pop [YouTube]
I can’t even make out most of the words in this song. But it’s got a good beat, and you can dance to it.
- Tainted Love, by Soft Cell [YouTube]
Don’t touch me please, I cannot stand the way you sneeze²
- Should I stay or Should I Go, The Clash [YouTube]
Darlin’, you gotta let me know
- How can I live without you, Cracker [YouTube]
How can I live without you, if it means I gotta get a job?
- The Tide is High, by Blondie [YouTube]
I’m not the kind of girl who gives up just like that.
- Island in the Sun, Weezer [YouTube]
...I can’t control my brain.
- I Wanna Be Sedated, The Ramones [YouTube]
I can’t control my fingers, I can’t control my toes
- Blister in the Sun [YouTube]
When I’m a-walking’, I strut my stuff. (And this one has even led to spontaneous family dance parties in the bathroom.)
- Sweet Potato, Cracker [YouTube]
Be my sweet potato, I’ll be your honey lamb.
- I’ll Tell Me Ma, Sinead O’Connor [YouTube]
She is handsome, she is pretty. She is the belle of Belfast City.
- Three Little Birds, by Bob Marley [YouTube]
Every little thing’s gonna be all right.
There we go. A bunch of songs that make me happy.³ (Yes, I realize that there isn’t a song on here that’s under 10-years-old. And that the 80s are over-represented. What’s your point?)
¹ With the good news that my mother’s surgery went very well, I’m ready to do a happy dance.
² Not the actual lyrics, but the ones I sing.
³ This list goes to 15. Tomorrow I’m going to make one that goes to 11. How about you?