The Pants Institute is pleased as pants to present: The Classic Pants TV Lineup!¹
From the conservative black & white pinstriped pants of the 50s to the colorful polyster prints of the 60s and 70s bellbottoms and on through the high-waisted peg-legs of the 80s, this look back at the golden era of Pants TV will bring a smile to your pants.
- I Love Pants: This classic show from the 1950s features a young married woman’s antics, which frequently involve trying to sneak around in her husband’s pants.
- Growing Pants: A family learn that as the kids get older, they must wear larger sizes of pants, or be increasingly uncomfortable.
- All in the Pants: A 70s show about the life and family of a middle-aged middle-class white man who struggles to adjust to changing societal norms for who wears the pants in the family.
- I Dream of Pants: An astronaut happens across a pair of magic harem pants that can fulfill his wishes, but only if he wears them in secret.
- Three’s Pants: In this madcap 70s comedy, 3 single young adults sharing an apartment are always getting their pants mixed up in the laundry.
- The Pants Boat: Each weak, different styles of pants are paraded on the decks of the Pantsific Princess, a cruise ship that promises to pair up pairs of pants.
- Pantasy Island: Each week visitors arrive on a tropical island to act out their wildest fantasies of wearing different pants.
- Diff’rent Pants: 2 young boys from Harlem must trade in their worn-out jeans for new fancy pants when adopted by a man with millions of pants.
- The Facts of Pants: A group of teenage girls in a boarding school learn about love, life and pants.
- The Golden Pants: 4 older women live together in the 80s and wear 4 distinct styles of pants.
- The Pants Bunch: When 2 families merge their wardrobes, how will they ever fit all their 70s polyester pants into one dresser?
- Welcome Back, Pants: A high school teacher and his students teach each other lessons about changing pants fashions and returning classic pants styles.
This post is for Mary, who requested a pants post when I asked for suggestions on things to post about. This post is also dedicated to my dear friend Elizabeth, who first introduced me to the comedic power of pants, and who should have been wearing her birthday pants today. I still miss her every day.
Can’t get enough pants? Try these on for size:
80s Pants Party
The Call of the Pants
10 Classics of Pants Horror Cinema
12 Classics of Pants Theater
The Pants of our Discontent
The Unbearable Tightness of Pants
¹ I had just about finished this post when I had a nagging memory that my blogging buddy Painted Maypole had years ago done a pants-TV-themed post, as part of a challenge to write a post in the style of another blogger. (She chose me!) Happily, there is only a wee bit of overlapping in the pants shows. And these are rerun pants, anyhow…
6 thoughts on “Welcome Back, Pants”
I have to add this one:
“A flash in the pants.” Said by a 4 year old boy not of the current generation.
This is… well, it’s brilliant.
The Pantstones: a cartoon about prehistoric people and their pantsless wardrobes.
One Pants To Live: a soap opera filled with love and betrayal among people who live in Pantsview, PA, where they own a newspaper, The Banner Pants.
[I never watched this soap but my MIL loved it so I know a bit about it.]
Oh, oh, oh, this is so great.