I just can’t get enough of those socks. I figure you can’t either. So, I’ve rifled through my sock drawer to share with you this sock-themed ThThTh list.
- knock your socks off: an idiom meaning “impress” or “surprise in a good way,” as in The excitement of this sock list will knock your socks off.
- put a sock in it: “be quiet.” (Differs somewhat from “put it in a sock.”
- bobby-soxer: a 1940s term for a teenage girl, especially fans of Sinatra
- The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947): a movie with Cary Grant and a teenaged Shirley Temple.
- sock hop: a dance popular in the US in the 1950s in which participants took off their shoes and danced in their socks
- Christmas stockings: socks hung by the fireplace as part of a Christmas tradition. They are then filled with eggs by the Easter Bunny. (Do I have that right?)
- Fox in Socks: A Dr. Seuss book (featuring a fox wearing socks) filled with particularly tricky tonguetwisters:
Who sews whose socks?
Sue sews Sue’s socks.
Who sees who sew whose new socks, sir?
You see Sue sew Sue’s new socks, sir.
- Pippi Longstocking: A character from a series of children’s books by Astrid Lindgenwho wore socks that were not only long (long stockings) but noteworthy for being mismatched
- Diddle Diddle Dumpling: a Mother Goose rhyme featuring (at least in some versions) stockings:
Diddle diddle dumpling
My son John
Went to bed with his stockings on
One shoe off and one shoe on.
- bluestocking: a term for an “educated, intellectual woman” used commonly in the 18th and 19th centuries. Also Blue Stockings Society.
- Red Sox: a baseball team based in Boston, MA
- White Sox: a baseball team based in Chicago, IL
- Chartreuse Sox: a baseball team based in my imagination
- sock monkeys: stuffed toys traditionally made from socks. (Perhaps less traditional is the sock monkey dress.)
- sock puppets: hand puppets made out of socks.
- sock puppet: a dummy internet account
- The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theater: a sock puppet duo of YouTube fame
- The Bureau of Missing Socks: “the first organization solely devoted to solving the question of what happens to missing single socks. It explores all aspects of the phenomena including the occult, conspiracy theories, and extraterrestrial.”
8 thoughts on “sock it to me”
And President Clinton’s cat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socks_(cat)
FYI – The Answer to The Great Sock Mystery:
Can I play second base on the Chartreuse Socks? Can I? Can I huh?
Spike Milligan has a book of children’s poetry called Unspun Socks from a Chicken’s Laundry and Beverly Cleary has a book called Socks.
And let us not forget the 1970s fad for toe socks that saw a come-back a few years ago.
I find “socks” about as funny of a word as you find “pants”, so I definitely appreciate the sock theme this week.
Just for the record, I prefer my socks stripey.
MQ gets perverse pleasure out of making me read Fox in Socks to her. What was really painful was when she asked her Dyslixic (oh… i spelled that wrong!) godfather to read it to her. I had to save him.
First pants, now socks … what next?